Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Checking in. Two days before Thanksgiving Day. Our weather is very warm --sixties at night and near eighty for a high. But tomorrow is a different story; so says the weather people. Cold front coming will drop temps to the forties during the day. Big difference! The next few days will be busy. I have some machine quilting to do for my quilting club--charitable quilts for our local women's shelter and catching up on my own and I am making the roll recipe below to try on my club for Wednesday as a trial run. One lady is bringing chowder (yum).

I am making rolls and probably a pecan pie to take for Thanksgiving. I found the recipe for the rolls at http://allrecipes.com/ and the pecan pie recipe is one from Imperial Sugar. I made the rolls last week as a trial run. They were super easy. I put everything in my bread maker on the dough cycle. I do think they need just a little salt and I will add some to those I make today. Hope you enjoy.
Cake Mix Yeast Rolls

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 (9 ounce) package yellow cake mix (Jiffy mix in our area) or half of a regular cake mix
1/4 cup margarine, melted (I use butter)
2 egg whites, beaten
2 tablespoons poppy seeds (I skipped the egg whites and poppy seeds)

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
Stir in the flour and cake mix. Beat until dough is smooth. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into rounds. Let rest 5 minutes and then roll into 12 inch circles. Cut each circle into 10 wedges. Brush with melted margarine. Roll up the wedges, beginning at the wide end. Place on prepared baking sheets with the end of the roll on the bottom. Brush the rolls with beaten egg whites. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
These are very good and tender and rise up into very light and fluffy rolls. I did turn my oven up to 375 degrees and like I said I think they need just a little salt.
Texas Pecan Pie
from Imperial Sugar Company
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups pecan halves
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
9" unbaked pie shell
Combine first five ingredients in small bowl and mix well. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add evaporated milk and mix well. Stir in pecan halves and vanilla. (or I like to arrange my pecans in the pie shell and then pour the liquid on). Mix well and turn into unbaked 9" piec shell. Bake in preheated 400 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake an additional 35 to 40 minutes or until filling is puffed in center and well browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Please leave a comment so I can visit your blog.