Sunday, July 22, 2012

Baking

Yeah, I know it is too hot to bake but I still have the urge. Like using up those bananas that turn brown. I found this really good banana bread recipe that I like. It uses buttermilk--I think buttermilk makes baked products so good.  It adds a golden soft crust and texture that melts in the mouth. I saw on Pinterest a recipe for a coating for baking pans and tried and now I am singing it's glory!  I am telling you IT WORKS. And I also found Baking 911 and it is so interesting to know the REASON why we coat pans differently for different baked goods. Baking 911 also has the recipe for the coating and calls it Professional Baker's Grease.

Here's the Banana Bread recipe I like:
1/2 cup butter (I like to use 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 olive oil)
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 egg, beaten
2-3 ripe banana, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs and combine. Add mashed bananas and vanilla and combine. In separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt -- whisk together. Stir into wet mixture alternately with buttermilk.

Coat your loaf pan (9 X 5) or a combination of smaller loaf pans 7" and 5"  and one mini loaf pan -for giving away ; ) with Professional Baker's Grease (you will be SO glad you did).  Fill pans slightly less than 2/3s full and bake in preheated 350 degree oven. 9 X 5 = 60 minutes or more 7" = 45 minutes and 5" = 35 minutes and always check with toothpick a couple inches away from center (if you check center it might be slightly gooey but still done--weird I know). I think this is the case with tea breads.  Oh, and I don't own a pastry brush -- need to get one-- I used what God gave me-- my finger to dip into coating and "paint" my loaf pans.

Hog Man continues to recover. We had a Dr. appointment this last week. He might have scar tissue in his knee. : ( Aggressive physical therapy is the first approach and if that doesn't fix it then the doctor will need to manipulate under anesthesia -- hopefully this will not be necessary. Prayers, please!

It was 108 degrees here yesterday. It was HOT! And still no rain. Lovey had her piglets yesterday morning-- early. I will need to take my camera and take pictures. I have been blessed to have had help from two guys with the feeding and unloading of feed while Hog Man is recuperating. I feed the animals 3 or 4 days a week. I must admit-I think I'm getting good at it. Don't tell Hog Man, though. As soon as he can take over the job it is his job with my blessings.

We had guild meeting yesterday. A good meeting with a work day. We brought our sewing machines to work on our charitable projects-- Christmas stockings for C.A.S.A. and tote bags for Disabled American Veterans for the local auxiliary. It is always so much fun to get together and sew. Lots of talking and laughing. And eating. Of course. New recipes to try at home. : )

Then yesterday late we had a surprise visit from DGD Aimee and her friend while the parents ran some errands. We crafted! We made supper and ate. And they oohed and aahhed over the baby piggies. We broke out the Clover Flower Frill templates that I have been wanting to try.  We had a lot of fun. One thing that wasn't fun at all -- a scorpion dropped from the ceiling onto Aimee's leg while sitting on the sofa. She was great and sat still. I ran and got a fly swatter. It crawled off her leg and she exited the sofa. Splat = dead scorpion! I hate those things. She sat the rest of the time holding tightly to my hand and resting her head on my chest. Poor baby. I know I would've freaked out if it happened to me. Oh, for winter. Remind me I said that come January.

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Please leave a comment so I can visit your blog.