Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Another busy week ahead!



Cool Mason!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day! I know I did. All my kids came and oldest DS cooked. Grilled chicken breast, asparagus, muchrooms, green salad, zucchini and yellow squash, with a bundt cake and strawberries and bananas and homemade rolls. It was a feast! All the kids had not been here together since Christmas. It was nice.

DH and I worked hard the day before in the yard. He mowed (new riding lawn mower Woo-hoo) and trimmed trees. I cut stuff out of the fence (the country trying to reclaim) and clipped the hedges in the backyard. The front ones are for another day. I thought my arms would be jelly the next day (manual clippers) but they weren't--they didn't hurt or anything.

Today I finished planting our vegetable garden. I know it is probably a little late. But we have had some wacky weather. It was in the 40's yesterday morning and SOOOO windy. I don't remember a spring with this much wind. Last year and maybe the year before we had to replant several times because it was too cool for things to germinate. Anyway, I planted two rows of okra, one row of green beans, two of blackeyed peas, one of zucchini, one of marigolds mixed with zinnias, one of yellow squash, cucumbers, cantaloupe, and watermelon. Let me tell you about the tomato plants that I started from seed back in March. I started fifty peat pots. Oh, yes, I did! :-P The seed was from 2004 so I didn't know how or even if it would sprout. DGD helped me when she spent spring break with us. Maybe it was her little green thumb or something but I had bazillions of tomatoes come up. And kept coming up. I kept thinning them.
Well, I set them outside a couple weeks ago to "harden" them off. I tried to set them out of the wind. Hard to do around here. I kept moving them. To make a long story less long-- LOL -- the wind did a number on them. And they should have been planted oh, probably a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, I lost probably half of them. Did I tell you about pulling the labels out before they germinated? Oh, yes I did! :-) I gave up on them (Oh, me of little faith). About the time I pulled the last label out I happened to see a hint of something green. So now I know I started with Beefsteak, Homestead, Cherry, Better Boy, and some dwarf yellow-orange kind. But I have no idea what I have now. Surprise, Surprise! Remember Gomer Pyle? I still need to pick up some pepper plants if I can still find some. Jalapenos and maybe another kind. Gotta have the jalas for hot salsa. Oh, yeah!

Blessings and happy quilting,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. Please leave a comment so I can visit your blog.