Thursday, April 09, 2009

Happy Easter!

Praise the Lord for His resurrection! We who by faith have believed that Jesus died for our sins will someday spend eternity with Him in heaven. What a mighty triumph over sin and the grave!

Seems as though this is getting to be a weekly post. Just a busy time I guess. I posted last Friday. Saturday we went to Muenster and bought a ton of feed for the hogs. Then we worked in the yard. I had called a man I know who works on a lady's short arm quilting machine. He came over Saturday afternoon and advised me on mine. He's not a sewing machine repairman but he has gotten familiar with hers. Mine is a different brand from hers. She has a Gammill and mine is a NuStyle. After he left I started working with it again. I had gotten so discouraged with it last year that I had pretty much given up on it. But I am determined to make it work now! Long story short--I got past one problem -- it was hanging on the right hand side. We (DH and I) figured how to manuever the clamps to get it to work. But now the thread is breaking and there are long stitches happening. I'm thinking I need to take it in to a repair man. It sounds like it could be the timing. Some of my bobbins have a nick where the needle has hit it.


Monday, I got my paper work together for filing taxes. We are later getting it done this year. Tuesday, I did laundry and took the paper work to the tax person. I also cut out a kit for a 4 Patch Stacked Posies pattern. Wednesday, of course was Kraz-z Quilters. We finished Priscilla's Eureka quilt! And we said Eureka and Hallelulah! We have decided as a group to make small quilts for C.A.S.A. They are a group of advocates for children who have been taken out of homes due to abuse or neglect. So as soon as Priscilla's quilt came off the frame we put in two small quilts to tie for C.A.S.A. Dixie (fast woman that she is--and I mean that in the most respectful way) had sewn these two up. One in pastels for a girl and one in blue and reds for a boy. We got them tied and next week we will turn up the backing for binding on a machine. And we will work on making more small quilts. Today I will work with the ladies of the Wise Co. Quilt Guild to finish our donation quilt top. Update: We didn't get it finished. : ( We ran into some snags with the borders. There is a film of dust on the furniture. The vacuum cleaner has a film of dust on it! The toilets and bath tub are sticking out their tongues and saying "Nanny, nanny boo boo" at me. So today might be a good day to tackle them after sewing. No cleaning today--stayed late this afternoon working on guild quilt. I worked on one of the pillow shams while Mary (bless her heart) dealt with the borders. Another day and we will see it complete.

AND this weekend we will spend with family.

Another recipe if you're interested. I have been making this bread lately and we like it and my quilting ladies like it too so maybe you will, too. I don't even have a name for it so help me name it will you?


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick oats
about a cup liquid (milk, potato water (really good) or water)
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp. honey
1 1/2 tsp. yeast (I make my bread in a bread machine.You'll need to adjust the amount of yeast if you make it by hand.)
1 1/2 tsp. gluten (when I use the potato water it doesn't need it)

In my bread machine you put all the liquid in first and salt. Then the flours and oats and last the yeast and gluten. I've been putting mine on the dough cycle and putting it in a loaf pan to finish it. I've found (I don't know if it is my bread machine or what) that it needs more rising time. And I can't just set the machine and walk away. Nope can't do it. I gotta be a part of the process. So I open it up and check on it. I'll pause it and get out my rubber spatula and make sure all the flour gets worked and it's just the right consistency. When I'm happy then I walk away. Until it's time to shape and put in a loaf pan. I love the feel of bread dough. I love the smell of bread baking. I love the taste of fresh baked bread. And it shows! LOL Oops! Forgot--bake at 350 degrees for about 30 to 35 min. I like to bake mine in a long slightly narrow loaf pan.

Oh do you want to see my baby tomato plants? Thought you would!

They are coming along nicely. Next week I will begin to condition them to the outside world. Poor babies! In all there are fifty something plants. Last time you saw them they were all in small peat pots. Where there were several plants in a small peat pot I transplanted into the larger peat pots. Next week I will start conditioning them to the outside world. I can't wait to taste the tomatoes!

Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your entry...shows up in the right column of my blog...Maine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Please leave a comment so I can visit your blog.