Monday, August 15, 2011

I need your help

I am in need of advice. I have fifteen Dresden Plates so far. I am thinking of yellow centers. Originally (in the 90s)-- yes, it is an old UFO-- I was going to use Marti Michell's pattern.  It is 80 x something. My daughter doesn't have a full size or queen size bed anymore. She has a king. So either I have to revamp this pattern or I go for something else. Right now I am voting for something else. I spent a lot of time yesterday looking for ideas on the web. I saw sashing - plain, pieced, no sashing. Here's a link to the pieced sashing. I saw piano key type borders out of the same fabrics as the slices --I like that.  I saw little mini dresdens set as cornerstones. I like that too. At this point I figure I will probably have to make more Dresden Plates. I do like the on point setting of Marti Michell's pattern. But I'm not in love with the basket in the center. I had already planned on just using a plain Dresden block there. I really like the softness of these fabrics. I played around in EQ5 last night --thank you Patsy-- and came up with a layout on point with sashing between the blocks and half Dresden blocks in the side setting triangles. If I go that route I've to get busy and make another 17 blocks and that includes the halves.  I have plenty of the background fabric. My original plan was to use it for the backing of the quilt. I don't have enough to do that anymore. 

Whatever I decide to do means more piecing at this point. I have a turn coming up -- there are two people in front of me-- at Kraz-z Quilters and I would really like to get this ready for my turn. So I've got to get it ready because I really would like to have it hand quilted.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you.
Marilyn

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I like your blocks, and it will be beautiful. Piano keys type borders will be very nice. Other than that you have wonderful judgment and I can't wait to see it when finished. :)

    We finally had some rain late in the afternoon yesterday - the bottom fell out, literally. It was sooo nice. So thankful for what we had, but we need much, much more. Maybe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome quilt. Will be perfect when you are done.

    Would you be so kind to leave a comment on my BLOG ONLY (no emails), for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored. Please share this with your freinds.

    Have a beautiful week.
    Hugs,
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Please leave a comment so I can visit your blog.