Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Windy Day


It is windy! And we have dust in the air. But we have sunshine! Yeah! Last Feb. we had a very windy day like today and I was unloading my quilting notions at Paradise Piecemakers. They were and are such nice ladies. They directed me to a door close by to make it easier. We don't normally see dust in the air in this part of Texas. In San Angelo where we came from you did and certainly in Lubbock where our youngest DS went to Texas Tech. In fact in one of those dust storms he had a wreck. Previously, he had rear ended someone in Oct. of 2003. Well, during a dust storm in Dec. and repairs had not been made to his pickup--his hood didn't latch securely--his daddy had told him to chain it down--he didn't----the hood flew up and he couldn't see where he was going and hit a lady head on in the city limits of Lubbock. No one was seriously hurt. Thank God! But we did get one of those phone calls around midnight that no one wants to get. "Mom, I've had a wreck and I'm at the emergency room." He assured us he was okay. He had to have some stitches in his mouth but other than that he was okay. We finished the night at home, Bridgeport, and Early the next morning drove to Lubbock. He graduated in 2004 and is now employed by an engineering firm in Dallas and is a responsible husband and father.

I asked Saturday if I could bring my quilting notions and display them in Feb. at the Paradise Piecemakers meeting. They said sure. I need to sell some things. In the order I sent in yesterday I have several items ordered for people. That has been my intention all along when I started this was to take orders and deliver them. But it has been slow to catch on. I think gas prices being as high as they are may have helped. I really don't know. I think I had to prove myself also. I have also discovered that people want to SEE things; so I have in the course of time developed an inventory BECAUSE when I order I have to order a minimum amount. I do try to order wisely. Boy, has that been an education.

So, in the next few weeks I will be visiting different quilting groups : ) . Love it! Patsy, I wish you lived close by you would love my quilting group on Wed. but you keep looking in your area and see in you can find something or maybe start your own group. That's how our group started back in 1990 I think it was. A couple of ladies wanted to get together and quilt and they knew some others who wanted to, too. They met in homes for several years. Then we have been blessed to meet in a room of a building downtown for several years. The Decatur group meets in the VA building and shares utilities with them. The Chico group meets in the firehall. Both of these groups have to move their frames out of the way before leaving. The Post Oak group meets in a community center (and this is one place I have so much fun). I demonstrated a pattern to them in Nov. My first time to do this. I felt so inept. But they were so gracious and kind. They said they enjoyed it.

1 comment:

  1. Good morning,

    I was going to answer your email last night, but I was tuckered out and went to bed.

    We have the small group here in town, but all they do is make the quilt for Founder's Day. It is a fund raiser for us.

    Today, DH has to have checkup for his carotid arteries, and I have to go by the Waco library for a few minutes. Tonight there is a city council meeting at high school and will go to that. Most of our town is up in arms about the city council trying to get rid of our local police and contracting out to the Sheriff's dept. Bad judgment on their part.

    The wind is blowing here, too, but no dust yet. I hate dust in the air, so hope it doesn't get this far.

    I've been intending to tell you that several weeks ago I bought a Clover yo-yo maker that makes a flower shaped yo-yo. I have no idea what I will do with it, but it is sooo cute. Maybe use it on something for one of my granddaughters.

    I hope your business picks up and does great. It takes time, I think.

    I'm going to post to my site, just don't know what to say! LOL

    Take care,
    Patsy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Please leave a comment so I can visit your blog.